Question
Posted by: Eliza | 2011/03/22

Itching ears caused by hearing aids

Hi Dr Bets, my hearing aids'' acrylic mouldings that fit my ears (I wear external aids) aggravate my ear canals. They itch terribly and I have frequent discharges from the ears. I try to avoid using earbuds but the itch becomes unbearable at times. My GP has prescribed antibiotic eardrops for the discharge. Of course when I have a discharge, then my hearing, which is severely challenged already, becomes even more so.. I fear the constant earbud use will damage my ears even more..
What alternative/remedy could you suggest to alleviate the itch and avoid the infections that happen as a result thereof? Would so appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Hallo Eliza
If you have only an infection of the outer canal, something like Quadriderm cream usually works well, but if you also have infection in the middle ear, with a perforated eardrum, you may need antibiotics and must be careful not to put any drops in the ear as some eardrops are toxic to the middle ear. Wipe your hearing aid moulding with surgical spirits daily and ask your pharmacist to make you a 2% boric acid solution (in alcohol) to use as a drop in your ear to prevent infection if it is only an outer ear infection (otitis externa) - ask your doctor first what he saw when examining you and it if will be ok to use it! Wait a minute or so for the alcohol to evaporate so that the ear is dry before putting in your hearing aid.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/03/23

Hallo Eliza