Posted by: Eliza | 2011-03-22

Itching ears caused by hearing aids

My hearing aids'' acrylic mouldings that fit my ears (I wear external aids) aggravate my ear canals. They itch terribly and I have frequent discharges from the ears. I try to avoid using earbuds but the itch becomes unbearable at times. My GP has prescribed antibiotic eardrops for the discharge. Of course when I have a discharge, then my hearing, which is severely challenged already, becomes even more so.. I fear the constant earbud use will damage my ears even more..
What alternative/remedy could you suggest to alleviate the itch and avoid the infections that happen as a result thereof? Would so appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Eliza

You should speak to your audiologist about getting hypo-allergenic earmoulds made, as you may be allergic to your current moulds.
Then you should see an ENT in view of the longterm management of your problem. Sometimes an ointment may be helpful if the problem persist, but you should avoid manipulation of the earcanal at all cost as this is aggrevating the problem.