Posted by: Embarrassed | 2009-07-19

Itching bottom

I am a 30something yr old mom, with kids and dogs so I figured my itching bottom (anus) was probably worms. I have dewormed the family but still have hectic itching and am too embarrassed to ask my doctor. I have no piles or hemeroids (however you spell that) that I am aware of. The itching is not consistently there, but quite irritating at night (sometimes wake with it). It is an ' exquite'  itching and sometimes feels like it extends just slightly inside the anus and just slightly towards the perineum, but mostly around the anal opening. I do not have an STI, there is no discharge and no obvious signs of redness or any skin irritation...(not that I' m a doctor, but I have had a look). My personal hygiene is good - I don' t use soap based products and wash/wipe more than adequately. Any ideas would be really welcome because this is driving me mad and I' m very embarrassed too.

Unfortunately, you will have to consult your doctor for an examination of the anus, rectum and skin. Treatment will depend on the cause for the itching. There is no over the counter medication that will alleviate your symptoms.