Posted by: woman | 2012-07-13

itching &  snoring

I have 2 questions
1) I have recently become very itchy. Dermatitis has been ruled out. Could there be a systemic problem? I do not feel unwell, just a bit tired.
2) I believe I suffer from obstructive sleep apnoea. How can I stop this as I am overweight and have a thick neck and receding chin? If I can''t fix it, what sort of specialist do I consult?

A generalised itch can be due to systemic problems, like gallstones that obstruct the bile duct system. You will have to consult your doctor for blood tests and a possible abdominal CT scan. Your doctor can refer you to a sleep clinic, where a sleep study will be done to diagnose sleep apnoea. Try to seek help as soon as possible, as the treatment for sleep apnoea is very effective and you will feel much better after receiving treatment and having a good night's sleep. Sleep apnoea is normally treated with a CPAP (continious positive airway pressure) machine.