Question
Posted by: Ciska | 2012/03/15

Itching all over!

Good day,
I am 31 weeks and 2 days pregnant and since 3 days back I am itching all over(on my feet, under my feet, hands, legs, stomach,ect.) I have been breaking out this little red spots. It is so bad that I wake up from the itching. The pharmacist gave me allergex to take, but it doesnt seem to work.Can I use Mepyrimal cream to tr and see if it helps or what can I use? Please help!

You need to see your doctor. Some of the causes of itching in pregnancy can be serious and can include liver disease.

2

Posted by: Me | 2012/03/15

What is obstetric cholestasis ?

Obstetric cholestasis (OC) is a relatively rare pregnancy condition that affects your liver and causes you to feel itchy, sometimes intensely so. You may also hear OC called cholestasis of pregnancy or intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy (ICP).

OC affects less than one per cent of mums-to-be in the UK (Geenes and Williamson 2009).

We still don''t know exactly what triggers OC. We do know that OC happens as a result of the way your body uses bile, a liquid produced in your liver. Bile helps break down food, in particular fats, in your gut.

Normally, bile flows down a tube (the bile duct) into your intestines. If you have OC, less bile flows into your intestines. That means bile acids (also sometimes referred to as bile salts) start to build up in your body.

Some experts think OC is caused by the pregnancy hormones oestrogen and progesterone. Your body may be sensitive to high levels of these hormones, and this may affect how your liver works.

Reply to Me