Question
Posted by: Craig Harrison | 2010/01/26

Itchiness/skin disorder

Hello Doc.
November 09 working on roof got burnt on arms.
My hands also displayed a weird patch of extremely dry skin, which took about 2 weeks to fall off, also left like a specific pinky patch which has sort of gone back to normal. They were also extremely itchy. In fact they have not actually stopped itching since then.
In december spent a day in sun again but i did not burn (again no sun screen used) That night i was applying all kinds of cream to soothe the hands and the itchiness on the top of my hands.
The next day my right hand had swelled up so bad i could not pull a fist. The left not so bad. Also the same pink patch reappeared. Through the remainder of december say 15 days till now the itchiness has spread to my arms.
Not the outer arm but the inner arm.
The left seems to be twice as bad as the right.
During the day it is not easily seen as a rash ie no specific rash marks, but still extremely itchy. The sun also seems to aggravate it more. There does seem to be small bumps underneath the skin when scratching, ( i use quite a lot of strength to rake my arms to alleviate).
At night the itchiness steps up a notch and plenty of bumps are seen.
What is happening?
Also to note i had to go to the Durbanville medi clinic on 3 occasions to receive injections for rashes lasting up to 48hrs.
Now when i say rashes my whole bodies skin goes pink and raises up by a millimetre, except hands feet and face.
This took place about 4yrs ago and have not had the symptom again.
Regards Craig

Dear Craig
You may have a reaction to the sunlight (a photosensitivity type of allergy) You may need an antihistamine for a while and you may need cortisone cream - please let your doctor have a look at the rash or ask him to refer you to a dermatologist
See http://allergies.about.com/od/urticariahives/a/solarurticaria.htm

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/01/27

Dear Craig

Reply to cyberdoc