Question
Posted by: ITB | 2008/09/28

ITB injury

I have what a Physio, doctor and Biokenitest think is ITB. Have had scan and have fluid on side of Knee and back of Knee. I have had cortizone too into the knee. still no relief. they don' t know what to do

I have had this now for 6 months with no relief, nor can I run. What training/strength building can i do to get back to running

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Tanya,
It is vital that the biomechanics of your legs are working as smoothly as they could be.

To reduce the friction of the illiotibial band I recommend stretching the illotibial band, gluteus maximus and calf muscles for 2 minutes each after 15 minutes of aerobic exercise. Deepen/develop stretch after every 10 seconds. Never stretch in to pain, only mild tension. Avoid downhill running or running on a cambered surface. Strengthening is inappropriate until leg mechanics have been corrected.

Biomechanical abnormalities such as excessive lateral tilting of the pelvis, or other dysfunctions of the leg and foot need addressing. I would recommend visiting your local osteopath for a different holistic approach. For more information on osteopathy visit www.osteogoodhealth.com

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath