Question
Posted by: KERRY | 2012/02/03

ITB

Hi Ross
I have ITB and had it for several months - basically since the 2 Oceans in April last year. I hadnt run a 21km before and I think I went up to quickly - jumped from 8km to 18kms as I was running out of tIme.

After the run instead of resting I continued running and cycling. At first I just cut back on my running so basically went back to doing 5km''s two or three times a week but stretched in between when I could feel the pain. It then started affecting my cycling so I had to cut back on that too. In August it got so bad that when I sat at my desk at work my leg would burn so I stopped running totally and basically continuted spinning classes (at low resistance) and weight training, pliates etc - the occasional long cycle over the weekends.

I have been to a chiro for a few months - tired needles, taping my leg, this painful rubbing of damaged scar tissue on my leg (fall off my bike the previous year). I have cut back on everything but never totally stopped as I find when I start again the pain is still there- I am trying to streghten my glutes (as I was told they were weak) so do all sorts of rehab exercies but the minute I start pushing it the pain returns. I stretch, ice, do strengthening exercise and I have my moments that it feels a bit better but general I feel the pain most days - this burning pain by the knee area and near my hip flexors. Is there anything that you could suggest - anyone that I can go see? I am prepared to do anything! I am not sure if I should stop exercising totally which would drive me insane - but I will now do whatever it takes to get rid of this

Your help and advice would be appreciated!

Hi Kerry

I was going to say the glutes are the most important, and then I saw that you'd already done that, so that kind of blew my "missing" ingredient up a little.

I"m never a fan of stopping altogether, but it does sound as though maybe you do push a little too far beyond the capability, especially after such long layoffs, so I'd say back off the training, but don't stop. Even if ths means you walk 30 minutes rather than run 5km, every second training session.

But I do think you need to see someone about it. You have in the past, and I fully appreciate that the last thing you want is another consultation, but you would do well to get it properly assessed and have those rehab exercises evaluated. And honestly, it may feel like an ITB problem, but it may have another cause. There may be more effective ones you can try. I'm not sure where you are, but if in Cape Town, then UCT Sports Injuries Clinic have great physios and bios and that's where I'd suggest you go. But any physio who deals in sport should be able to assist you.

Remember, those glute strength things will take a long, long time to have an effect, and so we're talking every day training for months before it is corrected, so also be patient. BUt I'd try accelerate it by seeing someone in sport.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/02/17

Hi Kerry

Reply to fitnessdoc