Question
Posted by: Tracey | 2011/01/18

ITB

Hi there - i have been running for about 20 years, and have done the ultra-distance marathons like most runners as well as a good few triathlons. However for the 1st time in my life, I have ITB. I have not run for 3 weeks (cycling and weights for now) and have been foam-rolling and stretching my glutes. I have also started YOGA to get the best stretches.

However, although the knee feels a lot better, I dont think it is well enough to start running. Would a cortisone injection be a good idea?

Hi Tracey

I'm not a huge fan of injections, mostly because they treat the symptom and so sure, your knee will feel ready for training again, but the underlying problem (the friction) may still be present. So you can run, with the risk that it gets even worse!

I'd say that you should continue what you're doing, also look at some strength exercises that will help once you do start running again and if you do really feel the need to get running, then the injection is OK, but just don't confuse the absence of a symptom with the absence of a problem! in other words, keep doing what you're doing regardless, plus the strength training!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/01/21

Hi Tracey

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc