Question
Posted by: WEB | 2012/08/28

It Has To Stop

Please, I need assisstance. I am severly depressed. And I so very badly wish I could make it stop. I dont want to be depressed, but my mind it seems has turned totally against me. I try do things that are good like physical activity, I am not drinking, I try go to bed at the same time every night. But still I wake up early in the morning from about 3am and feel like I am having a heart attack. The sadness and despair almost makes me want to stop breathing. I dont know what to do . I can''t work properly, I am battling to do everything from reading and writing to watching tv. I start crying for no reason in the middle of traffic and then the next moment I want to drive into a wall.
How do I stop being depressed. Because I think if I dont soon I am going to be in danger.

Any of us can feel a bit down at times, have a spot of the blues. And that we can help ourselves out of by exercise, pampering, chatting to friends, whatever. But you're talking about DEPRESSION, which is a chemical disorder needing proper expert treatment. You can't stop it entirely on your own anymore than you could cure an appendicitis by thinking positively.
PLEASE see a good local psychiatrist if possible, or at least a really good local GP, for an assessment and a discussion of treatment options. These should include medication ( which takes a few weeks to show its full benefits but can be really helpful ) and counselling of the CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) form. With the right help you can move yourself right out of this wretched state of depression within weeks, and be feeling as well and cheerful as you deserve to be - not at all like this
If you dont have medical aid and cant afford to see a private doc, consider a GP, and also the nearest major state hospital / clinic, even via their casualty department, where they should be able to refer you to a state psych who will be able to help.

1