Question
Posted by: Jordan | 2010/12/07

It gets better????

I had to laugh at the question that Shoes posted. When does it get better? I have 2 boys aged 19 and 6 and I hate them at the moment. (no, not really hate, but I certainly don''t like them presently). I am a single parent and they have only ever been with me, father doesn''t feature. You have to be so firm, especially with boys. I''m afraid I have turned mine into spoiled brats who I can''t stand. But it''s my own fault. Believe me, nothing wrong with a good hiding. Obviously the 19 year old is too old now for spankings but I won''t let the little one walk over me. Sorry, just venting, I do love my kids, but I am not enjoying them at the moment.

One may love without always liking ! Or enjoying.
When does it get better ? All sorts of ages. I know some in their 60's where the miracle hasn't happened yet.

5
Posted by: Jordan | 2010/12/07

Of course I have natural affection towards them and dearly love them. They are just really getting on my nerves lately. And of course I don''t hate them, but I am finding it difficult to constantly be giving and giving and giving and getting zip in return. I understand that''s what being a mother is. It''s just hard being the sole provider for them, the cook, the cleaner, the bank, the disciplinarian, the everything. Like I said, I''m just venting.

Reply to Jordan
Posted by: SAVE | 2010/12/07

You said you HATE your children? Do you know what NATURAL AFFECTION is? Why dont you find out what it is and ask yourself why dont YOU have it?

Reply to SAVE
Posted by: Maria | 2010/12/07

LOL, I was having this conversation with a friend last week about loving but not always liking your kids. And don''t you find that other people''s children always seem to be so much better behaved than your own? The trick I think is to have a couple of friends who are very honest about their own parenting trials and tribulations, then you realise that you''re not alone! It is also important to know what you can realistically expect from a child at a give age. Just because someone else''s 4 year old can sit quietly in a restaurant for an hour does not mean your also have to do so.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Shoes | 2010/12/07

Hi Jordan,

I know what you mean. I get so angry with them, that I cannot even speak properly to discipline them. I spank my 3 year old and he just laughs at me, saying it was not sore!! My husband usually does the spanking and I always threaten that Dad will spank unless he does such and such. I think this is a work in progress. Perhaps we must get out more so that they can get used to seeing new things and not causing chaos! Hope you enjoy your kids soon!

Reply to Shoes