Posted by: Nic | 2013-01-31

It all started with a cold........

Hello doc, hope you can help me. I am a 36yr old female. On Christmas Eve I started with a cold - family members also had it. It didn’ t last long - maybe 4 days - with a phlegmy cough (considering I do smoke) the cough was completely gone within about 10 days. We were on holiday out of town at the time (in Port Elizabeth) and while I had the cough and cold, I also came down with bad diarreah (no vomiting though). I couldn’ t even eat 1 grape and it didn’ t stay in for a minute !. Apparently there water isn’ t so good and I happened to have drunk some of it the night before the diarreah started, but I don’ t know if it was that. Anyway, that cleared eventually to and no problems there-after. I felt I was all better and good and then we drove home on New Year’ s day in an air-conditioned car and suddenly the next day after going back to work I felt like I’ d been hit by a truck –  dizzy and very flu-like symptoms and body aches mainly (no sore throat and no sniffles –  just body aches and shivers). I took 2 days off work and felt a little better but after returning in early January I still don’ t feel like I’ m completely recovered. I do NOT have a cold, no sore throat, no fever, no swollen glands, no headache, not tired (although I only seem to be getting about 7 hours sleep a night). I am not on any meds except Adco Alzam for my severe anxiety. The strangest thing is when I am pre-occupied I don’ t feel so bad (example last week was my daughter’ s birthday and I felt fabulous ALL day), on the weekends I am much better (maybe because I sleep much later in the mornings (I am not a morning person) and this seems to help tremendously). I do feel that I have improved from even 2 weeks ago as I couldn’ t even clean my house or go out shopping for too long I felt so achey. It’ s worse during the week at work or when I am stressed, but it also comes and goes within hours –  couple of hours feeling good, a couple of hours feeling off. I seem to have an increased appetite as well and after I eat I feel stronger. I am not one to get sick with colds and flu and the cold I had last month was my first in 3 years. Work colleagues, both my daughters and now my husband have had a second round of colds this month, but I still have not caught it from them. It’ s just this achey flu-like aches that are totally confusing me. I must add that for the past 3 years without fail in December/January (my busiest, most stressful time of year for my career) I get some weird illness and symptoms that no doctor can explain (I haven’ t been to the doc for this yet, but the previous 2 years I had batteries of tests for strange symptoms with no diagnosis –  not your run of the mill cold, flu and infection stuff –  weird weird stuff –  thankfully it all went away like it never arrived). What should I do now ?? I want to feel like me again and go back to exercise at gym, but am too scared I’ ll feel even more awful. Thank you for your time.

You are displaying symptoms of depression. I therefore, suggest that you consult your GP for an examination to exclude other conditions like fibromyalgia, diabetes, hypothyroidism and Vitamin B12 deficiency. I think you will do well with a product like Cipramil, which is used for mild to moderate depression, as well as general anxiety disorder. The Alzam is a benzodiazepine and can also explain your symptoms. It will be best to wean yourself off Alzam under the supervision of your GP.

Posted by: Nic again | 2013-02-01

The only other symptom I seem to have is a bit of dizziness - but mostly when I enter a building (like a shopping mall) with bright lights. Then its gone again

Reply to Nic again