Posted by: Anon | 2008-12-15

Is water retention BP related?

I am pregnant (30 weeks) and have been on high blood pressure medication since the start of my pregnancy. Of late my ankles and feet swell up and it' s really sore and uncomfortable - it actually feels like my skin is too ' small'  for me
I can' t stand or walk for very long because of it

Do you think it could be an indication that my BP is too high? I' m only seeing my doctor again on the 8th of Jan and I' m just scared that something could go wrong in the meantime

Dear Anon
One can develop swelling of the feet and legs in later pregnancy because the uterus is pressing on the veins that takes the blood flow from the legs back to the heart. You can have your blood pressure tested at most pharmacies if you are worried that it may be too high. If your feet are very swollen ( the heat also doesn't help now) you can lie down on your left side, this takes the pressure off of the big vein that carries blood from the legs to the heart. You can also try wearing waist high maternity support stockings (may be expensive and warm though). Drink enough water, this will actually help prevent retention of water, don't wear any tight socks or knee high socks that will impair the blood flow of the legs.

Posted by: BP | 2008-12-15

Go to you Pharmacist to check your BP.

Reply to BP