Question
Posted by: arabang | 2011/05/22

is this reality, how to get out

ive joined the goverment department (gov depart does budgets) now this is my 8th month and we knock off late everyday. start work at 7 am and knock off at 7pm because there is too much work and the managers dont want to understand, they want work completed within short notice. i still take work home and even work on weekends for 3-4 hours just to catch up. but my family responsibility are suffering cos not its all work and work, its a highly pressurized and deadline driven environment. never thought HR could be so much work. or maybe im in the wrong career? how do i get out. just feel like im in jail. my package is R350k and im not sure why should i be crucified like this. this is the going rate for hr officers. i feel like i should talk to a shrink. am i overreacting? what can i do to cope?

Sounds like the workload I carried for much of my life, without ever seeing such a large salary ( gosh, I wonder whether in my whole career I earned as much as Habe does in a year ); but I understand your concern. It will be reassuring to many citizens to know there is a government department where people work so hard and long, even though it is not fair to you for such a workload to be constant.
Gogga's comments make sense. YOu are probably carrying the weight of work others haven't bothered to do, and rushing towards crisis deadlines what should not have been necessary had the whole enterprize been properly planned and run.
Romany's point about a Job Description is also important. If "overtime is built into the package" then this should be totally explicit and included in the job description. And of course it's nonsense to call people "lazy" for complaining of unreasonable chronic work hours. Sounds like your managers ( presumably even better paid ( and do they work the same hours ? If not, why not ? ) are busy passing the buck.

9
Posted by: JUST SO YOU KNOW | 2011/05/24

R350K - R520K is not average for an HR Officer!

Reply to JUST SO YOU KNOW
Posted by: arabang | 2011/05/23

the chinese may come if they want to. the fact is i will not work as a slave durin the week and still work weekends again. im not scared of hard work either and with my previous employer, my manager would complain that i work too hard and chase me out of the office. shell say: u have done enough for the day, please go home. but i would work overtime willingly, once a week or 1 saturday in a month. i was not paid for the overtime.

but with current employer, its working 10 hours daily and still come to office on Saturday. therefore, im gonna work just to just to cope with the work and keep my head above water, and pay bills. when i get another job, im going to resign. all employees are complaining about the workload and no one wants to listen.

with me family, comes first and work comes second. im happy to look for another job that pays less. even parttime work is ok, i work 6 hours with less money and more time for myself and family.

Reply to arabang
Posted by: Tiffy | 2011/05/23

After being in an organised corporate environment albeit a pressurised one, i took a government job as the pay was almost 60% more than what I got. Gosh what amistake I made! the incompetence between colleauges, managers and executives was shocking. I slogged and slaved from 6 to sometimes 10 at night, just to cope and keep my head above water. I was a manager and had ladies reporting to me who messed up so badly I had to redo their work, babysit their functions and responsibilities etc. In the end, I got attitute, rude behavour and response in return. I tried fixing things, but got told that I was bossy and not nice to work with. needless to say after three months I quite. Management could not understand why...

Reply to Tiffy
Posted by: Realist | 2011/05/23

Th is is called " Reality"  This is what this country was built on, a hell of a lot of hard work, dedication, and an outlook to the future. Families battled on one salary, Mommy was at home looking after the kids and there were no " jobs for pals"  There were no " job descriptions"  you did the work that was assigned to you and if you did not like it or did not do it, you were out on your ear. No -|- footing around with HR and their bleeding heart attitudes. Be thankful you are not in China, no weekends or days off No HR no job descriptions no strikes,being paid a tenth of what you are paid and hundreds of highly qualified and competent people waiting to take you place at the drop of a hat ! Be thankful you have such a well paid job and stop griping, just get on with it !! Make the most of it now, the Chinese are on the way !!!

Reply to Realist
Posted by: Habe | 2011/05/23

I work for gov as well and there is no built in overtime in that salary bracket. I''m earning about R520k and and I get paid for overtime, which is optinal. Sorry yur bosses are crewing you and you must put your foot down and you can''t be fired for that in government.

Reply to Habe
Posted by: arabang | 2011/05/23

we are actually called hr business partneres and all of us complain about the workload and and long hours. but managers said we are highly paid and overtime is built into our packages. according to them the work is ok and its just us that are lazy.

Reply to arabang
Posted by: Romany | 2011/05/23

Do you have a clear and precise " Job Description"  that tells you exactly what is required of you?
I suspect that you may not have this and are trying to do as much of as many things.... possibly even doing other people''s work?
That is not how it should be working. Ask for a clear " Job Decription"  and work according to that only.
In an " organised environment"  you should be able to complete your work in the day without having to work overtime or at home.

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Gogga | 2011/05/23

R350 k is probably a JHB salary as this is MUCH more than an HR officer gets paid where I am from. The HR manager should probably earn that.
You see, the government is " stuffed" , people are not properly skilled and everyone just " rides the gravy train" . (I know I got out there a short while ago), so... it is basically " cricis management"  and that is exactly why you are working long hours etc. Not everyone is doing what they should be doing and not everyone is skilled to do what they should. Sorry but this is reality...., ifyou are serious about a career and making a contribution to the company you work for (and it sound like it) , get out of there and find one. Good luck

Reply to Gogga