Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2012/03/20

Is this peri-menopause or full menopause?

I had my last menstrual period on 31-12-2011 at the age of 46 years and 7 months.

Last week I had blood tests to determine whether or not I am ready for hormone replacement therapy (HRT).

The results were as follows:

Oestradiol = 225
LH = 31.7
FSH = 58

Are these results indicative of peri-menopause or full menopause? I have heard conflicting assertions. Some sources say that an FSH count above 50 is a sure indication of " full menopause" , while others say that you can only be in full menopause when you have been without a period for at least 12 months.

An HRT patch has now been prescribed for me, to preserve my bones, as I am osteopenic.

Anonymous

I would say full menopause. The 12 months is a retrospective thing which you will only know at the end of a year.

1