Posted by: Mich | 2011-01-13

IS this ok

I am 172 and 51kgs. i struggle to eat, and only usually have one item a day such as a yogurt.
im 28 yrs old.
Sufferd from anorexia in past.
been thru so many treatments. but dont feel that i am at an abnormally low weight to see anybody again.
i feel like there is a lot i still need to lose and am not in any danger if i do physically.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Mich,
It sounds as if you are a long-suffering anorectic. and probably exhausted with your numerous treatments with little breakthrough. By my calculations, you are still underweight. Your Body Mass Index is 17.24, which indicates that you are significantly enough underweight (your BMI should be at least above 18.5). In other words, you can only consider yourself to be at the bottom of a normal weight range when your weight reaches a minimum of 55 kilograms, and that is unlikely to be your normal resting weight. Your diet is clearly also very controlled and restricted. Your body is already likely taking physical strain, and any further weight loss is going to seriously compromise your physical and mental health. I suggest you consider re-entering treatment immendiately. Depending on where you live, I can recommend treatment options.