Question
Posted by: Snuggles | 2011-07-25

Is this normal?

Hi there,

My sister spends every weekend in her room either watching TV or sleeping. I don''t mean to be nasty but she has no life outside of work. I must add that she has a VERY challenging job and off course she uses this as an excuse.

She was a very bubbly and social person, but is has been about 3 years now that she started to withdrawn more and more.

We (we are 4 sisters and my mom) hardly hear from her, she hardly ever answer when we call, she doesn''t even open the gate when my mom wants to visit her - according to her she doesn''t hear my mom at the gate. It is not the first time that this has happened.

We are very worried that she may be depressed - she has been on Lilly for a couple of years now.

We were very close, but we hardly speak now. Nothing happened for her to act this way.

I just feel that it is not normal.... but that is just me. What do you think?

Thank you kindly.

Presumably this is how she chooses to live. Its not compulsory to "have a life outside work", and some folks choose to work hard, and to rest at home. That she is apparently growing distant from her mother and sisters, and the other aspects you describe, does indeed sound as though she may have become depressed, and it would be a good idea if she could be persuaded to have a checkup at least with a GP and preferably with a psychiatrist, to assess whether she has a degree of depression which could usefully be treated with medication and counselling. If she is depressed, she could be feeling very much more cheerful and happy if she received proper treatment. Depression is common, and often arises for no recognizable reason within the person's life, often for entirely chemical reasons.

1