Question
Posted by: Lydia | 2010/11/01

Is this normal

Hi, is it normal if you over indulge one day that you can put on 1.5kg? On saturday I ate more than I usually do and now I am 1.5kg heavier, this is very disheartening and I would like to know if this is normal?

Lydia

Dear Lydia
Body weight can vary by up to 3 kg depending on factors such as hormonal changes, time of day (people tend to weigh more in the evening than in the morning), water retention, etc. If you ate a lot of salty foods then the high sodium content could be causing water retention, which will normalise within a day or so. It is not a good idea to weigh yourself every day because this leads to discouragement, rather weigh yourself once a week at the more or less the same time to track weightloss over time.

1

Dear Lydia