Question
Posted by: Chrissie | 2012/09/06

Is this menopause?

Dear Doc

I am 45 years old. Had a baby last year. The last couple of months my body gets hot early in the mornings (but never again during the day). My breasts get periods where they feel very tender. I realise I am sometimes a bit moody. I experience now and then a couple of hours heart palpitations. Last night for the first time it felt that my bladder " let a bit more out"  after I have finished in the toilet???

About 6 months ago I went for DNA tests at a professor who tested me (a neurologist said he thinks I have ms). It came out that I have very high estrogen levels. By the way ms is unlikely after all the test results.

Could I have pre-menopause? Can I be tested to proof it and when do I get tested (when I feel like this or any time). Would my GP be able to test this or should I go to my Gynae?

Thanks so much.
Chrissie

These could well be perimenopausal symptoms. The problem is that you could have these symptoms for a year or two before the actual menopause and the tests would then be normal.

3

Posted by: Chrissie | 2012/09/07

Hi Bella

This was my first and most possibly only child (what a blessing!). I struggled with my thyroid and had 3 miscarriages as a result of my thyroid.
Once the Endocrinologist sorted my thyroid, I fell pregnant at the age of 44 with NO help! We had a healthy beautiful daughter at this age!

Then again the gynae said at my age, the chances was about 2% to gell pregnant!! Nothing is impossible! Just relax, enjoy your husband and whoops you will fall pregnant!

Good luck!
It is so nice to have a little one, all my friends have children, married, studying etc, and I am the proud mommy of the most beautiful little girl!

Chrissie

Reply to Chrissie
Posted by: Bella | 2012/09/07

Hi, sorry to probe, but you said you had a baby last year - did you conceive naturally? Im 41 and trying to conceive, so it is nice to hear abut woman in their 40''s having babies!

Reply to Bella