Posted by: Nadine | 2010-10-28

Is this legal?

I''ve been with my employer for four years and they want to implement a new rule. We each have to take a course and then write an exam on that course, if you fail you fired. Is this legal? I''ve been doing the work for 4 years, I''ve had all the internal training.

The company also wants to put on on a standard " pay as you perform"  cost to company package instead of our normal remuneration packages, which means that I will have to take a massive pay cut, my position will not change but my salary will. Is this legal?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Is this legal

It is not legal to insist that you pass an exam otherwise you will be fired.

Posted by: Boetie | 2010-11-06

The company is taking a big fat chance just refuse any pay cut + make sure they don''t talk U into signing anything in this regard. A family member was in a similar position + management tried to force her into signing a document allowing for a salary cut. They threatened to fire her if she did not sign but when she stood her ground + challenged them they backed down. These management guys all know the law but they sometimes take chances. Dont let them get away with anything.

Reply to Boetie
Posted by: Whena | 2010-10-28

No unless it is a legal requirement that you have the qualification

No salary etc can only be changed with your consent/agreement

Reply to Whena