Posted by: Concerned | 2011-04-29

Is this how the Menopause begins?

I will turn 46 next month. Last month I skipped my period (which is normally of three days duration). The week before last I started a period, which was preceded by 3 days of brown spotting followed by heavier bleeding (red in colour).

Just as it looks like it is about to end, it starts again. Everytime, I pass urine I notice bright red blood. This has been going on for about 8 days.

On 06 November 2010, an ovarian cyst of 2.5 cm was detected on my left ovary during a routine examination. The gynae said it was probably caused by all the intravenous cortisone medication I had to take for an MS relapse in November 2010. I should have returned for a follow-up visit last month but haven''t yet gotten round to it.

Is this kind of bleeding common during the peri-menopause?

It could be perimenopausal but it could also be something else. You should see you gynaecologist again.