Question
Posted by: sm | 2010/03/10

Is this depression

Am i depressed? A week ago my lifestyle was up at 4:30 am gym andf then off to work until 16:00 then hom e, i would cook etc ( full of energy) i follow a healthy lifestyle, but literally overnight i dont want to do a thing i drag myself up at 6am dont want to go to gym and literally have to force myself to go to work , i have also started to binge and purge eat , what is this and why |? i have al ways been a happy putgoing person

I answered the other time you posted this question. As Maia says, one would n ot, anyway, diagnose Depression unless symptoms have been present for 2 weeks - because so many things, known and unknown, can cause depressive symptoms for shorter periods, which then clear up on their own. If these symptoms are persisting, seeing a GP for a gneral checkup, both physical and pych ( checking for other relevant symptoms ) would be the wisest next step

3
Posted by: Maria | 2010/03/10

You must have certain symptoms for at least 2 weeks to be diagnosed as clinically depressed. I''m not suggesting you wait another week - please go to your gp for a thorough physical checkup to rule out things like thyroid as Sunshine suggests. He or she can then advise you on the way forward. If your gp thinks you need anti depressants it is advisable to see a psychiatrist for an assessment. Some sessions with a psychologist will also be beneficial, and I feel should be compulsary if you start taking meds.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: sunshine | 2010/03/10

I would suggest you have your thyroid checked...sounds like me when mine is low......

Reply to sunshine