Question
Posted by: The Healty Way | 2008/07/28

Is this correct

Hi Doc,

Thank you for all the advise that you give all of us. I was one of those who lived on diet pills which only cause jojo dieting. I have to loose +/- 28kg. My current weight is 88.3kg, I am 1.63m tall and I am 41 year old. I worked out a eating programme and was wondering if this will help me to loose weight.

Breakfast (05h00):
1 cup cooked oats, 150ml low fat milk, 2 teaspoons white sugar, coffee (2 sugar, low fat milk)
Snack (09h00):
1 x fruit, Coffee (2 sugar, low fat milk)
Lunch (13h00):
1 x Piece Chicken, 1 cup vegies, 1 small potato, cofee (2 sugar &  low fat milk)
Snack (16h00):
1 x Fruit, water
Dinner (19h30) - After excercise
1 Piece of Fish and Salad / vegies

Excercise Routine:
Monday - Step (18h00 to 18h45)
Tuesday - Body Con (18h00 to 18h45)
Wednesday - Hi Low (18h00 to 18h45)
Thursday - Step (18h00 to 18h45)

Is this the right way to go to loose weight or must I do some adjustments. Is the ratio of energy in and energy out correct for weight loss or will this only maintain my weight.

Dear The Healthy Way
Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that you have stopped using diet pills and have escaped from the trap of yoyo dieting. Your current BMI = 31,3, which is very high. Do first start out with a goal to lose about 16 kg so that you can get back into the normal range with a BMI of 25. Then see if you can lose more down to 59 kg (a loss of 24 kg) for an ideal BMI of 22. Do things in stages - 10 kg at a time otherwise you will be overwhelmed with the task before you. Your proposed diet seems reasonable and should cause weightloss, but make sure that you are having 2 cups of that low-fat milk a day in total so that you don't develop a calcium deficiency or have a low-fat yoghurt as one of your snacks. Also include another portion or two of low-GI carbohydrate (brown rice or a slice of seedbread) to provide sufficient fibre to ensure regularity. To save on energy you can also consider reducing your sugar intake gradually or using non-nutritive sweeteners instead. Make sure that you do more aerobic exercise (running, jogging, cycling, swimming, skipping, etc) than working with weights, because aerobic exercise burns more energy than static exercise and it also increases your basic metabolic rate for a number of hours after exercise thus using up more energy.
Good luck with this programme.

1
Posted by: The Healthy Way | 2008/07/29

Thank you for your advice, I will keep you posted.

Reply to The Healthy Way