Question

Is this behaviour normal?

Good morning Doc,

I have a 17 month old son. I have noticed that he always plays by himself, even when there are other children around him. He always finds something to do on his own.

He has been in creche from the time he was 6 months old.

Is this normal behaviour? I am an introvert &  I don''t want my son to be like me.

Your advise will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Entirely normal. While he will probably become more social in his play a bit later, its good that he develop the skill of entertaining himself, first. I think the modern tendency to place kids in creche from very early ages, before they are usually sociable, leads to unrealistic expectations.

2
Posted by: Maria | 2012/07/02

Entirely normal at that age, they play next to but not with each other. It''s only really between the ages of 2 and 3 that they start interacting during play.

Reply to Maria