Posted by: Estelle | 2009-04-07

Is this age dimentia?

My mom will be 80 in July. Loss her husband 2.5 yrs ago. Were married for 57 yrs. Still misses my father terribly. Has short-term memory loss, but nothing wrong with long-term memory. Repeats herself over and over. Gets angry when we try to rectify her. Confuses figures - talks about 50c when it should be R50 or R5 when it should be R500, etc, etc.
She suffers from high blood pressure, asthma and takes Trepiline at 5pm every day - If she skips the Trepiline more than once she starts to hallucinate.
What is happening? Is this age dimentia?
Please help, Thank you

Dear Estelle
Are you sure that she takes only one Trepilene - she may forget that she took one if she takes responsibility for this alone. It could be signs of age related dementia, but older people also often gets confused if their electrolytes (potassium and natrium in the blood) is not correct or due to medication (their kidneys and liver takes longer to metabolize drugs) Low oxygen levels due to asthma can also cause these symptoms. She should see a doctor for some blood tests and to check her blood pressure and lung function regularly. I don't think she should be taking more than 10 mg Trepilene per day at her age.