Posted by: Travler | 2013-01-29

Is this a normal response to stress ?

I am a single 30 year old male with a family history of deep depression and anxiety. I work in a very stressful environment every day for 4 months at a time. Over the last 3-4 years I have felt my emotions coming closer and closer to the surface. I can sit watching a horror or action movie and become emotional. Just searching for a psychologist online made me emotional. It is becoming harder and harder to keep this emotion under the surface. I am in a very public high profile job and I have to be careful to hide it. I also have feelings of uselessness or worthlessness even. I really don''t know if this is just stress or something more that I should investigate. I guess deep down I know I should probably, but I have always put it off. I am not used to / don''t like showing emotion so I feel I will not be able to open up. I guess I just want to know if this is worth pursuing, or if I am just reacting to stress..... Thanks in advance.

I suspect that you may have an exaggerated sense of how essential it is to suppress and hide all your emotions, but I understand your concerns.
From your description, this sounds like the sort of situation in which psychotherapy, especially in the modern form of CBT Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) could be really very useful for you.
This can enable you to learn skills so you can handle stress better, show emotions appropriately when necessary, and remain calm when that, in turn, is needed.

Posted by: Jennis | 2013-02-11

That''s a smart way of looikng at the world.

Reply to Jennis