Question
Posted by: Miss Phatty | 2009-03-25

Is this a good or bad diet pill?

Dear Doc,

My doctor gave me DUROMINE 30mg capsule to drink for me being a bit overweight, but I' ve noticed a lot of side effects which made me stop drinking them after 5 days. I was tired, weak and my vision was blurry, which gave me constant headache because I struggled to work on my pc. I was angry all the time and struggled to breath now and then, I felt like fainting. It also made me vommit twice, yes I didn' t get hungry, but I forced myself to eat coz I thought that' s why I felt so sick, my it wasn' t the fact that I wasn' t eating I think, because I still felt sick. And also my stomach only worked 3 times during those five days, if you know what I mean, and not everday like it used to.

What I really want to know is, is it okay to drink them? Will the sickness fade away after a period of using them, and if so, how long? I' m just scared I die, getting a stroke or heart attack, you never know, that' s why I thought of asking you. Please help me!
Because I really want to lose weight, but I' m scared!

Dear Miss Phatty
Duromine is an appetite suppressant. The following side-effects can occur with Duromine (which contains phentermine as its active ingredient), as listed in my copy of MIMS: pulmonary hypertension, central nervous system effects including psychotic episodes and hallucinations, cardiovascular effects, gastrointestinal disturbances, problems with urination, rash, impotence or changes in libido, facial oedema and blurred vision. If you are developing multiple side-effects please stop taking these pills before you damage your health. Rather reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).
Take care