Question
Posted by: Veggie lover | 2009-11-25

Is there such a thing as too much veg

Im trying to loose weight most of my food i weigh and watch my intake , except for veggies , i do watch my fruit intake but i eat veg by the plateful is this hindering my weight loss??do we have to weigh veggies. Also what is considered a serving for fruit and veg eg: 100g etc

Dear Veggie Lover
While vegetables are excellent foods (bursting with protective vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrient and dietary fibre), any food when eaten in excess has the potential to cause weight gain. In the case of vegetables most of them are low in energy (lettuce, cucumber, sweet peppers, tomatoes, the entire cabbage family, watercress, etc), but the more starchy ones like potatoes and sweet potatoes and corn on the cob if eaten by the plateful and if eaten with fatty sauces, mayonnaise, salad dressings and butter/margarine may cause weight gain. Eat these foods in moderation (1/2 cup is a serving) and don't add the high-fat dressings. For low-energy vegetables 1 cup is regarded as a serving. Fruit varies from half a banana to 1 cup of strawberries, depending on the energy content of the fruit.
Enjoy

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-11-25

Dear Veggie Lover
Enjoy