Question
Posted by: Hopefull | 2008/10/08

Is there still hope ?

My wife and I have been trying to conceive for about three years. She has autoimmune disorders, namely hashimoto' s disease and mild SLE (lupus). She has also endometriosis and has had it removed. We have seen fertility experts, and have fallen pregnant once and subsequently lost the baby at 8 weeks. Is there still a realist chance with the right sort of help ?

Dear Hopefull

The autoimmune problem as well as the SLE will both compound the implantation problem. Furthermore the strong correlation between SLE and early pregnancy losses, however in such cases we have used low dose Cortisone throughout the first trimester with great success and I would suggest that this be combined with low dose aspirin as well.

Answered by:Dr Cassim