Question
Posted by: Maria | 2008/07/29

Is the world going mad?

Hey CS

Not a question really, just a rant with a philosophical bent.

I was talking to a friend this morning about my dad, who is not doing too well 12 weeks after his bypass op. My friend is one of the most positive people I know, an eternal optimist. Yet she said that it feels to her as if everybody in her life has major problems this year. People getting divorced, having major depressive episodes, a baby needing heart surgery, a teenager dying in a car crash, a business going under... the things that are woven in the fabric of everybody' s lives. But at the moment nobody seems to be ok. There is too much hurt, and too few people who can support and care...

I wonder if the level of background stress we live with in SA magnify our everyday challenges to the point where they seem insurmountable.

I guess one must continue to look for the things that are positive and make you happy, like the laugh of a happy child and the purr of a contented cat.

Regards to Smoky.

Ah, in my time I've known a few ranting philosophers ! When I was a Medical Student at Guy's Hospital, London, I discovered that the great philosopher, Ludwig Wittgenstein, whose work I rather like, during World War II when he was Professor at Cambridge University, though he would not take part in combat, took long leave from his universirty and came to Guy's and worked as a volunteer in the pharmacy. I tried to locate any of the ointments he had mixed, or pills he may have rolled ( as they did in pharmacies in those days ) but could never be sure I found any.
Anyhoo
I'm sure the higher levels of background stress lowers our general capacity to handle the specific stresses that present to us. And I also feel there are tides in the affairs of men as the wise guy of Avon once said, which sweep higher and lower. George Brown the hapless British Prime Minister ( ever come across a man with less hap ? ) was NOT a brilliant Chancellor . Finance Minister --- he was just lucky to be in the job while economies round that way were doing rather well, despite his actual policies and actions, and he gleefully took credit for it ; now the tide is running in the opposite direction, he doesn't want to take any responsibility for it at all.
Fortunately, Smoky is very fond of purring, and prefers to spend much of the night slouched across my chest, purring cheerfully whenever I move. Apart from occasional excursions when she circumnavigates my head, marching round the pillow before settling again

1
Posted by: ow | 2008/07/29

as they say in the classics " poop happens!" 

Reply to ow