Posted by: Annelize | 2011-07-28

Is the development of Ovarian Cysts a sign that the menopause is approaching?

I am 46 and have a clear-fluid ovarian cyst which my gynae suggested having removed in 3 months time through key-hole surgery if it doesn''t disappear on its own, after a 10 day course of progesteron. It is about 4cm in diameter at this stage and seems to be benign.

It has been there for at least 7 months. My question is: Is the peri-menopause not perhaps the most likely cause of this cyst? (My periods have been very irregular these past few months and I also know that my FSH level is higher than normal). Do I really need surgery for a cyst that is not causing any pain and which was discovered during a routine examination?

Dear Annelize

As this is not a fertility related question and is a gynaecological question I suggest that you refer this question to the Gynae Doc on the Health 24 website.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Cassim