Posted by: Chanche | 2011-10-28

Is Stroke a heriditary condition ??

Dear Sir/Madam,

I come from a family background with a numerous stroke &  hypertension incidents.My grandmother died of stroke , my aunt and mom are now living with a stroke condition and as I speak now , I just received a call that my big brother has been diagnosed of stroke.
Can these be a genetic problem , hereditary condition in the family blood-line or is just coincidence ?? I''m also scared that I might be in this condition one day because I usually get cramps on the left side of my body at times.
I''m a 24 year old male, African,I do drink(alcohol) casualy, living in South Africa (Limpopo province)

I hope to hear from you with some fundamental &  expert explanation to this issue/illness.

Kind regards,

The best prevention for strokes, is a lifestyle change by doing regular exercise, eating a healthy balanced diet, quit smoking and limit your alcohol consumption. You should consult your doctor to test for diseases like, diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension, as well as heart conditions.

Please refer to the following article as it gives a detailed explanation on strokes: