Posted by: weaning off anti depressants | 2010-08-23

Is St John''s wort right for me

Dear Dr, I suffer from depression and have been on a very low dose of Zoloft for past 2 and half years. Have been seeing a psych as well and ok now, but still frequent bouts of blues. My GP says I must get off Zoloft which I did two weeks ago. But I am so scared that depression will return and zoloft helped my anxiety as well. Have bought " SOLAL, Naturally high"  but have heard that St John''s wort in it causes photosensitivity. Please can you advise whether this is correct for me?

Expert ImageNatural health

St John's wort only causes photosensitivity in some subjects. The 5HTP in the product would also help increase serotonin. A large percentage of serotonin is made in the gut. so make sure your gut is functioning well - no constipation or diarhoea as this could contribute to low mood. Make sure your blood sugar is also stable as this could affect mood.

Dr Debbie