Question
Posted by: MoT | 2010-02-09

Is she underweight?

OOps! anyway here' s my question - in full this time!
My 18mnt old lg is about 60cm tall and weights 9kg. She is healthy and quite active, though the nurses at the clinic thinks she' s underweight. She follows an upward curve on the growth chart, though very slowly. She has a healthy appitite ( I think!) for eg, shed have porridge with some Nido 1+ and some honey and peanut butter mixed all up for breakfast, have potatoes and mince with veggies for lunch, an apple as a snack and pap with gravy and meat for dinner. Should I be worried or is she fine?

Dear MoT
Thanks for posting another Question. I agree with the nurses at the clinic that your little lassie is not growing properly. Her present weight and height are those of a 1-year-old and at 18 months she should at least weigh about 13 kg and be quite a lot taller. Because she seems to be eating quite well, there may be other factors that are suppressing her growth. Please have her assessed by a Paediatrician, if at all possible, so that you can find out if she has an underlying physical problems that is preventing her from obtaining sufficient nutrients from her food to grow properly (e.g. enzyme deficiencies, food allergies, growth hormone deficiency, thyroid deficiency, etc). Let's see what the dr says so that we can make changes to her diet to help her grow.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-02-09

Dear MoT