Question
Posted by: Thrax | 2012-07-08

Is psychology useless?

Ive seen many psychologists for simple depression and social phobia. It seems your treatments do not work. The psychologist actually gets angry when you have problems so why should we fork out so much money for your abuse? Its the same with GPs orthopaedic surgeons, neurologists. I have spent thousands, some my money, some the medical aid. At the end of the day the doctor always makes serious money and the patient gets screwed. What makes you more qualified han another person to give advice? We all have life experiences so why should we pay you a fortune to sit there and look bored? You go on and on about CBT therapy doctor so why do you have this forum up? What is it really solving? I just think human beings are selfish they are in love with themselves and hence the popularity of facebook, youtube, twitter and all the rest. Very little of the content is relevant and makes a big difference but it sure satisfies the ego! Putting up pics of themselves, talking about themselve, their qualifications, what they just did in thew bathroom and so on... Big brother, fear factor. It just glorifies how disgustingly simple and patheti human beings really are. Pop music, hollywood moies, self idolisation, spending as much money as one can to look acceptable for others and get recognition. I hate the world and cannot see why I should be part of it. It seems the only ones who can make money are the ones who screw over other people and are ruthless, you call it a psychopath doc, I call it modern life, so little money around for the middle and loew class and everything for the people at the top! They become narcisstic and belittle others and get more and more power seemingly because in this society people look up to people with money! Nothing more nothing less, all art and humanity is wasted. No morals, no values, just a lie that there is a guy in the sky that cares about you, but he always needs money too doesnt he? I hate this place and I have nowhere to go, now I must sit with a psychologist and be labelled and humiliated?

I entirely agree with Maria. Some shrinks, some teachers, some accountants, some musicians, and by far most politicians, are useless. That doesn't mean that its wise for us to dismiss all of them and their fields of activity as always useless.
Its not that "your (my) treatments" dont work, but that nothign works in the hands either of an inadequate practitioner or where the patient isnt fully cooperating in helping themselves.
No psychologist or psychiatrist is likely to "get angry when you have problems" - if you didn't have problems, they'd not have a job. But of course it is possible to make them angry by how you choose to behave.
If your shrink, or other doctor is "just sitting there looking bored" ofr just labelling and humiliating you, then he's incompetent and not doing his job right. You should tactfully bring his attention to this, and if he doesn't deal adequately with it, sack him and start with someone else.
I know ( from a great deal of feedback from satisfied readers ) that this forum is useful to a great many people. It seems you have arived here determined to be dissatisfied. So if I don't help you, you'll be angry, and if I was helpful, you'd be disappointed and angry, too. I can't win if you start with those intentions.
I share your disdain for Facebook, Twitter etc, as merely phoney ego massage.
But psychopathic behaviour isn't either compulsory nor universal. There are good people out there ( you might even be one of them, though perhaps currently in hiding ) and good therapists and docs of various stripes. And good friends and trustworthy people.
We just need to keep on trying to find them.

2
Posted by: Maria | 2012-07-09

No, psychology isn''t useless. Some psychologists may be, just like some engineers, some teachers and most politicians.

A psychologist cannot help you unless you are willing to help yourself. And part of being willing to help yourself is to accept things about yourself that you might not want to think about but which has to change. A psychologist who just tells you how sorry he is for you and agrees with you all the time will really be useless.

Reply to Maria