Question
Posted by: Dizzy | 2008-11-12

Is pap smeer only 2 check cervix cancer?

Because why, my gyno does pap smeer on myself and my uterus was removed few years ago. Still have my overies, but this now makes me wonder as it seems the Gov medical GEMS decided that they arent paying for pap smeer, mammogram or bone densitometry scans anymore. NO BENEFIT.!!!!!!
Please advise exactly why pap smeers are done?? What all do the check??
Thank you for the advisory site!!

Pap smears only check for cervix cancer and vaginal infections. If you had a hysterectomy, the cervix is usually removed as well and pap smears would therefore not be necessary. the only exception would be if the hysterectomy was for cancer.

Best wishesl