Posted by: paint | 2009-04-15

is paint fumes neutrilised by milk

do painters use or drink milk to neutralise the irretation of the paint
fumes in their thoats?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

I believe there was something of a tradition of this in the past, but I think the effectiveness in any real sense is questionable. It would make a dry throat feel better, but I don't think it would help neutralise fumes. Milk does absorb odours quite well, and for this reason some people put out a bowl with the aim of it absorbing fumes when a room is being painted. But again, I don't think there's any sound proof that it does.

The best way to reduce exposure to paint fumes is to ventilate the room well while painting and for painters to take regular breaks in the fresh air - absolutely essential if any symptoms like dizziness are experienced.. It's best not to use the room for a couple of days after painting while it dries, and to continue to keep it well-ventilated - which will also speed up the drying process.

Posted by: Paul | 2013-08-20

Many years ago I worked in a factory building fork trucks, the people in the spray shop were provided with crates if free milk which they could help themselves to, such generosity was not evident anywhere else in the factory so the employers must have thought there was some benefit. Sometimes these old remedies which seem silly do have a real effect.

Reply to Paul