Question
Posted by: Just me | 2011-03-24

Is ok or normal?

I suffer from I would say a little mild depression. Episodes do not last long and I think it is PND. I have down days but then I am able to pick myself up and I''m fine and content for a few months. My mother suffered with depression and never sought medical attention. I actually think she was bipolar and at times could get quite violent. I guess its something that has rubbed off on me but not as bad as I think I am able to recognize when I am feeling down and rationalize as to why and then work through it with myself. If that makes any sense? Sometimes however I think it is not ok that I feel down and it makes me a little angry as to why I have to feel like this. I have what some would label the perfect life. I have lots going for me so when I am feeling down I actually feel quite guilty. Is this normal?

One's personal risk of becoming depressed increases to the extent that there is a family history of depression, but it's never ineitable.
What you seem to be describing, though, sounds like the normal range of mood variations. Don't feel guilty for not always feeling marvellous - life is full of light and shadow, and that's part of what keeps it interesting

1