Question
Posted by: Neliswa | 2012-05-14

Is my son mildly autistic?

I really suspect that my 8 year old son is mildly autistic. I never saw anything out of the ordinary until he started pre-school, teachers told me that my son has learning problems and they referred me to an Educational Psychologist who assesed had her own suspicions so she referred us to a Child Neurologist who advised for a brain scan and EEG, all test came back normal and I was reffered to other Psychologist who came to the conclusion that there was nothing wrong with my son .
My son is 8 yr old and he walks on his tippy toes, he has big listening and concentrating problems, he likes to play with strings and always cuts pieces of papers into strings, new teacher has complained that he is slower than other kids. But on the other hand you can have a proper conversations with him, he is very curious about things and can be very intelligent at times. I am confused!!!

Expert ImageAutism Spectrum Expert Forum

dear neliswa

he sounds quite high functioning if he is on the autism spectrum and if he is doing 'stimmy' things but still functioning well at school then perhaps you should just look at dietary intervention which makes an awesome difference in children on the spectrum....toe walking and stimmy behaviours all improving...one of the sites you can go and have a look is www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com - a diet many families have found helpful. i hope this helps.

2

Hi there I am currently pregnant at almost nine weeks. I have bipolar disorder I am taking 600mg serequel and I also have a thyroid problem I am taking 1mg eltroxin for this. I would like to know what causes Autism? Is it genetics? or what you put into your body? I read that some medications can also cause it. Thanks very much

Posted by: Marian | 2012-08-14

alarm public hetalh officials are sometimes the same conditions that boost crime rates. a0 [" Police Chiefs Discover ZIP Codes Can Predict More Than Health,"  by Kent Zelas, April 28, 2011,

Reply to Marian