Posted by: Jane | 2012-07-14

Is my pulse rate too slow?

I generally have a slow pulse rate (between 42 and 45bpm when I wake up). In the last few weeks I''ve noticed it is slower still - 38 this morning and now only 43 after being up and about. Last week I was aware of my heart beating heavily - but not erratically or fast.
I have in the past had an ectopic beat and about six years ago had a slight myocarditis after a bout of the flu.

I''m 36, skinny and active - I run four or five times a week. I have been increasing the frequency and intensity of my training, so it is not unexpected that my heart is beating a little slower than before, but 38 seems too low and in conjunction with the heavy beat and the previous myocarditis, I''m just a little concerned.

The average pulse rate of a well trained adult is between 40 and 60 beats per minute. I therefore, think that you are just very fit and seeing that it is not much lower than 40, I do not think that you should be concerned. To set your mind at ease, you can consult your doctor for an examination and stress ECG.