Posted by: Belinda | 2009-08-18

Is my meds causing headaches

Dear Doc

I have had problems with sleep for many years now. Sometimes it is worse, sometimes it is better. I used to take trepiline 10mg (the 25mg makes me drowsy the next day), but even with that I find sleeping hard (I am a light sleeper that wakes up and cannot go back to sleep). I also started getting pretty severe migraines. An MRI ruled out any more serious causes and my doctor gave me sleeping tablets to see if the sleep problem aggrevates my migraines. I have taken them (Zolpi Hexal) for a month now. I sleep very well. For the last two weeks, though, I have had a constant throbbing headache. Even my face is sore. But it feels different to my migraines. I thought perhaps I had sinusitus. I saw my ENT today and he did an xray of my sinuses. They are clear. My head is so sore though - especially when I bend down or do something that requires effort. I was wondering if the sleeping tabs might be the cause of the headache? I have a headache all the time every day. I am feeling like a hypo condriac (sic). Please give me some advise.

PS I have taken sinumed, but they dont really take the pain away - just lessen' s it for a short while. I have not taken my maxalt - it really feels different to my normal headache and they are to expensive to ' waste'  on an ordinary headache. I am 37. Healthy and had a hysterectomy about 2 years ago. still have my ovaries. I had extensive blood tests done in early May to try and find the cause of the migraines and I am sure my hormones were checked as well. Do you have any idea what else this could be.

Dear Belinda
No Zolpihexal won't cause headaches - you may however have a tension headache caused by neck or upper back spasm? Let your GP have a look? You may need physiotherapy if it is.