Posted by: cally | 2009-02-06

is my doberman fat?

I have a 5 year old male doberman. He' s a very big dog, taller and bigger built than most dobermans. I' m a bit worried that he may be getting chubby. He still has the general shape, but isn' t streamlined and skinny like other dobies. You can see muscular definition in his hindquarters, and his ribs just have a little padding. He is quite active, loves running around and playing, but he loves to eat. The vet says he' s well-nourished, is this a diplomatic way of saying he' s overweight? He weighs about 44kg.

Dear Cally

'ribs just a little padding' I think you now you have a fat dog.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-11

The acid test for ' fatness'  is whether the ribs are covered or not - padding there = fat, I' m afraid!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2009-02-11

Go to the Purina website they have a guide there on how a well fed dog should look.

Reply to Boerboel Owner
Posted by: cally | 2009-02-10

Hi guys,
My dog just doesn' t resemble the sleek and slim show dobies. He' s really a beautiful dog... and when I say his ribs are padded, it just means that when you run your hands along then he doesn' t feel like a skin-covered toast rack!
Maybe I should just take him for more runs... after all, they say that if your dog is fat, YOU aren' t getting enough exercise!

Reply to cally
Posted by: Big Dog Lover | 2009-02-09

Hi there  One must remember that every breed has it' s own characteristics  having said that Dobies are supposed to be on the thin side. Go + visit a dog show + look at the Dobies. They' re all lean almost to the piont of being thin. We' ve had a Dobey + a Bullmastiff together. We used to show the Bullmastiff. U can see that they r built completely different 2 Dobies. A thin Bullmastiff would really look awful. A man in our town has a Bullmastiff that weighs 67kg. He is massive but that' s the way he' s built. Dobeys r also very active dogs so they definately should not be overweight. We always used to see our Dobey as resembling a racehorse - lean, fit + sleek. That' s the way they' re supposed to be.

Reply to Big Dog Lover
Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-06

Vets nowadays are quite alert to the problems of overweight in dogs, so I suspect that if your vet considered your dog' s weight to be a problem, he' d have said so quite clearly.

Having said that, it' s healthier especially for large dogs to err on the side of leanness rather than plumpness - less strain on their joints.

Reply to Chill