Posted by: Nita | 2009-04-23

Is my diet okay

Me again. After reading a few of your articels I discovered that I have tried to completely cut-out starch which could be wrong. Please see if my eating plan is okay:
2.Slice of ham and cheese
3.Shape Shake
5.Fish and veggies or chicken and salad
Think I should replace snack 2, but with what?
I would also like to know how many kj is 3000calories? I have a stepping machine which I excercise on for 30mins and it says that i burn, on average 300-0calories. Is this 300/3000? Is it sufficient? So many questions. Thank-you for your time and effort, appreciated.

Dear Nita
As you may have also noticed, I am not in favour of cutting out all carbs when you are trying to lose weight. For an example of a well balanced, low-fat, high-fibre diet, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet'. The diet you describe is still basically a high protein diet and is also lacking in sufficient calcium. Snack 2 should be replaced with fat-free yoghurt to provide some calcium to your intake to ensure that you ingest 1000 mg of calcium a day. 4.2 kcal = 1 kilojoule, so 3000 kcal = 12 600 kJ. I am also not sure what that stepping machine uses up, but I do know that doing 30 min of cardio exercise a day is a good idea and that this will promote weightloss. It is not just the kcal or kJ you burn while exercising, but the increased metabolic rate that can last for up to 24 hours after exercise that makes the difference.