Posted by: Jessica Human | 2009-04-16

Is my diet ok?

Hello Dr. and fellow users,

I have decided to start getting my body ready for summer (to ease my body into life style changes and not do a diet rush a month before summer).

I have posted my fitness question to the fitness expert, but to summerize the exercise side to this:

I am doing 2 10-minute speed walks before and after lunch, and 1 15- minute semi speed walk. As I can feel myself getting fitter, I have added 10 minutes of tae- bo at about 20:00 three times a week. The walking is 5 times a week.

On the diet side, I have increased my liquids by an extra 1 litre a day (excluding the 4 mugs of tea I drink). I used to eat 3 meals a day, but now I am eating a few provitas/yoghurt as a mid morning snack. I have a fibre cereal in the morning, lunch always consists of 2 slices of bread (I used to eat it as toast with butter on only) but now I am having it with tuna/beans/cheese and tomatoe/peanut butter. Supper consists of at least 3 vegetables and I eat of a smaller plate.

As for treats, I am trying to limit myself to 2 treats a week. Are hard boiled sweets or wafer biscuits alright to eat as a snack? I don' t want to deprive myself entirely in case I binge one day.

Are these changes enough to secure weight loss?

Dear Jessica
I trust that Fitness Doc has commented on your exercise schedule. Please make sure that you do Not increase your liquid intake to more than 2,5 litres per day in total. Excessive liquid intake can cause problems such as electrolyte imbalances that can counteract attempts at weightloss. Your change to 6 smaller meals a day should assist with weightloss because research has shown that "nibblers" lose more weight than "gorgers" provided the foods they nibble on are low-fat, high-fibre balanced options. Hard boiled sweets contain about 1545 kJ/100g. Weigh the portion you may eat as a treat and calculate how much energy the treat will contain. Let's say you have 10g of the boiled sweets, then you would be ingesting 155 kJ which only represents 2,5% of your energy intake when you are slimming and is therefore not excessive. The SA Food Tables do not list "Wafer biscuits", so it is difficult for me to work out how much a wafer would contribute to your energy intake, but generally speaking biscuits have quite a high energy content of about 2000 kJ/100g, so go easy on the wafers.
Wishing you lots of success with your regimen