Posted by: Sarafina | 2009-02-26

Is my daughter a sociopath?

Hello there,

I would appreciate some advice about my 7 year old daughter. I am afraid, very very afarid for her and am at my wits'  end.

She is the middle child of 3 - i got remarried and had a baby last year. I do accept my role in her current state of mind. The baby wa sborn prematurely and was quite sick, so was I for a few months. I couldn' t spend as much time with both older children as I was simply to ill. I did start reading, spending quality alone time and have an open relationship with them both. I do not have favourites and I do try my very best to bring them all up as healthy and happy individuals.

My daughter is harming the baby (now 1 year old) she has threatenedto give him scissors, she hits him over the head, she scrathes him, hits him smashes his chair aginst the wall, the table etc.

I started by taking away priviledges, sending her to her room, explaining over over again that she musn' t and why, give her extra time and love. I' ve smacked her and as a last resort given her lashings (i might add that I cry more than she does.)

This is tearing my family apart! Is she a sociopath in the making? Should I send her to an institution for observation? This has to stop! Nothing, nothing works with her. I am at my wits end. Please advise?

Yours " Sarafina" 

Her behaviour is dangerous and unaceptable and must be dealt with. It is probably needing some properly planned discipline program, and taking her to see a child psychologiost to plan this could be a good idea. Its hard to duagnose psychopathy in one so young --- this is probably bad behaviour based on jealousy aand a desire for attention, maybe when you are especially challeneged for time and attention.

Posted by: Really | 2009-02-27

This indeed is very sad.... I had almost the same episode with my first child. Only she wasn' t hitting the child, but she started pulling her hair out, throwing things around the house, throwing tantrums and refusing to do anything she was told.

It took some time to get her back into shape. True, you just have to give your child personal time and make her realise that she is as important as the other kids. Don' t make her feel as though she is being measured against the others or that the new baby is getting preference over her.

She will be fine.. you might even have to seek professional help.

All the best.

Reply to Really
Posted by: Lady Man | 2009-02-27

Claire not everything can be solved with a hiding. I agree with Cybershrink.

Sarafina let your husband take care of the baby let say for the weekend and then you spend the weekend only givng attention to your daughter and explain her role in your home to her. I also think she ask for attention.

Reply to Lady Man
Posted by: claire | 2009-02-26

Reply to claire
Posted by: Soul | 2009-02-26

Why not take her to a child psychologist so they can assist and advise on what needs to be done to help her.

She' s used to being the baby in the family and that role is now filled with a baby brother. She could also feel that his getting more attention, attention that she used to get. I understand you saying you give them quality time with them. But in her eyes his getting more of you, which is understandable his only a year old.

I understand that you are at your wits end but try and be more patient with her and give her the best help that you can.

Reply to Soul