Question
Posted by: Micky B | 2010/05/26

Is mushrooms a good source of (vegetarian) protein?

My GP recently told me I''m protein deficient due to my vegan lifestyle.
I am seeing a dietician, but always forget to ask her whether mushrooms are a good source of protein as I love them. I''ve heard that they are, but I also read that mushrooms have very little nutritional value.
What are the true facts about mushrooms?

Dear Micky
I am glad that you are seeing a dietitian because it is difficult to obtain sufficient protein, iron, zinc, calcium, omega-3, etc from a vegan diet. According to the SA Food Tables, raw mushrooms contain the following macronutrients per 100g: 106 kJ, 2.1 g protein, 0.4 g fat and 3.4 g of carbohydrate - the rest or 91.8% is water. Cooking mushrooms in vegetable oil increases their energy content to 661 kJ per 100g and the fat content to 14.6 g, but the protein content stays the same. Food which only contain about 2 g of protein per 100g are not a good source of protein.

1

Dear Micky