Question
Posted by: Broke | 2011/02/24

Is money extortion an illness?

Hi CS,

I have a family member who extorts money out of us and this has been going on for well over 10 years. Is this an illness? The person is over 70 years old and tells such lies to get money out of people so that he can keep up his lifestyle and not have to work.

He has screwed over everyone in the family and now he needs more money and no one is prepared to help. I also don''t want to help anymore but am struggling to get out of the bank deals that I have been tied into with him.

Wot to do?

Its not an illness, its bad behaviour. Its unfortunate that we tend to see someone who behaves unpleasantly or inconveniently, as "ill". Its not surprising that nobody now wants to "help" him - what's surprising is that they gave him money for so many years, without any good reason for doing so. He has not been suffering from a money-deficiency disease, that needed to be treated with other people's money. He was lazy and foud it easier to persuade other people to give him money.
It makes excellent sense for you to no longer want to support this idle bum. I don't understand what you mean by being "tied into" bank deals with him - and you'll need good legal advice about that, urgently. Did you perhaps sign surety for him, or guarantee bank loans of money to him ? You need also to discuss this with the bank(s). If he gave false information, to you or the bank, he could be guilty of fraud, and you might not be held responsible for paying his debts.
And if you have somehow been ensnared, still discuss it with the bank - even if they want you to pay them back, at least they can make sure they also pursue him for his debts, and that he doesn't receive another penny of loans from anywhere.
You seem to be describing someone who has preyed on his family and friends for many years. While he may find it difficult to cope without everyone else's money, it's about time he did so.

2
Posted by: Duckie | 2011/02/24

Extortion is not an illness niether is stupidity in allowing this to happen for 10 years.
At last you have gained common sense in refusing to help.
Obtain legal advice as to the bank deals to negociate repayment with the financial institutions. Walk away from this relative but also obtain legal advice on the laws of maintenance if you may be responsible for his upkeep.

Reply to Duckie