Question
Posted by: Nicole | 2012-01-30

Is jogging/ walking 50km/ week healthy?

I am currently doing a 30 Day running/ walking challenge, where I do at least 1 hour of training per day and cover around 50km per week.

Once the challenge is over, I want to know if it''s still healthy to cover such a distance per week. I will only be training 5 days a week after the challange is over, but want to keep doing 50km of jogging/ power walking (per week) - without over exerting myself or putting myself at risk of injury.

I''m naturally fit and healthy, having run (jogged) a few half marathons and always been active. I feel great while training but needing some guidance on what distance is advised to cover per week.

Hi Nicole

Yes, absolutely. I mean, it's a relative answer, because it means being quite fit and probably having to build towards that point. Most people can't go from zero to 50km instantly, but if you're a running already, and then you take on the challenge, 50km is perfectly manageable.

The same is true for after the programme. A lot of people are doing much, much more than this, perhaps even double, and a lot of people will find that they get injured at 50km per week. It's entirely individual, but given what you're saying, that it's a combination of walking and jogging, and if you're handling it now, then I'd say you'll be find to continue.

You play it week by week though. If by mid March, for example, you're feeling a little flat and tired, or you have a sore calf or a sore Achilles tendon, then just take a week where you cover 20km, and then see how you go the next week. No problem, you control the decision-making, which is really good.

So I say go for it, but just monitor your body - it's all about physiological management, understanding your limits. Perhaps 50km will feel easy and you can INCREASE it to 70k, who knows?

1
Posted by: Nicole | 2012-02-08

Thanks, great response! I''ll take it as it comes and judge week by week...

By the way, the challenge I was doing ended this morning, covered 226 km''s and even made a PB of 6min/km!

Feeling great and possibly ready to increase the distance too!

Thanks for your help :)

Reply to Nicole