Posted by: Hellgirl | 2009-02-05

Is it true that...

Guys can feel an intra uterine device during sex and that they often poke up against it. Sex than becomes unpleasant for Him...

I am thinking of getting the Mirena inserted, but I am afraid that it might ruin my sex life. What if my man doesn' t wanna do it as often cause it' s just not nice anymore???

So is it true?

Dear Hellgirl

It is true that men can sometimes feel the thread of the device during intercourse, but it should not be uncomfortable - so it would be neccessary to check that the device is properly in place as if it were to be low down in the canal of the cervix then he may feel the tip of the plastic device itself and it would then need to be re-inserted.

The thread of the Mirena is soft and should not be a problem and has not been known to 'ruin one's sex life'. It is a very safe contraceptive.

Posted by: Tango | 2009-02-05

Ooops sorry - meant " up in the uterus." 

Reply to Tango
Posted by: Tango | 2009-02-05

I think you need a serious anatomy lesson. The Mirena is in the uterus - not hanging out the cervix!!

His penis, no matter how hard he pushes, will not touch the Mirena up in the cervix.

Reply to Tango
Posted by: Mr G | 2009-02-05

Doubt if that is true. As far as I know and from experience he might be aware of it, but don' t think it would cause him any discomfort or problems.

Reply to Mr G