Question
Posted by: suprised | 2010/10/09

is it true?

i have a big stomac that i cant seem to get rid of. i jog three times a week with no results. my boyfrien told me to wear a rubbish plastic bag inside my jogging clothes so that i sweat a lot and i will have a flat stomach. he says the more u sweat, the more u lose weight. is it true?

Hi Surprised

No, it's not true. Sweating has little to do with weight loss and everything to do with the environmental conditions. If it's hot and humid, then we tend to both sweat more, and drip sweat more (rather than evaporate it), which makes it look like we're sweating more. That's why a plastic bag makes it look like you're sweating more than you are.

Where there is a link between sweating and weight loss is that the harder you exercise, the more you sweat. And, the harder you exercise, the more calories you burn. So if you for example run for 30 minutes and cover 6km, you'll sweat more than if you only cover 5km, and you'll burn more calories. That, over time, translates into more weight loss (assuming diet plays along).

But, the key is that it's not the sweating causing the weight loss, but the exercise causing the sweating, AND the weight loss.

So trying to buck the system by wearing plastic bags won't change weight loss much at all - rather focus on getting fitter, running a little faster, and accumulating time. And diet is vital in all this, so that's maybe a top priority.

4
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/10/18

Hi Surprised

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Elma | 2010/10/15

Please read the comment which I received - nr 52 - dated 12/8. Same problem as yours Really helped a lot.

Reply to Elma
Posted by: ANON | 2010/10/12

Hi there Suprise

I do think that works, i bought I tracksuit from GAME that is made of plastic and you sweat lot when you wear it and exercise.

i have also heard of the plastic bag, try it and see. I think it does work

Reply to ANON
Posted by: PVS | 2010/10/12

No you will only dehidrate yourself as you lose body flueds during sweat and not fat. What you should do it get a good exercise programme (more than 3 times a week) and get a well ballanced diet. Once that is in place you will see results

Reply to PVS